Colossians 3:15 Let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts, for as members of one body you are called to live in peace, and always be thankful.
Where does peace come from? Peace comes from Christ. Peace is not a state, it’s a fruit of the spirit. So how do we see this fruit in our lives?
1. Cast your cares on him
Read: Peter 5:6-7 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
Don’t carry all the anxiety. The cares of the world will just keep coming. If you don’t cast them off, you will have a large burden to carry. Instead cast your anxiety on Jesus.
2. Trust that God is in control
This is called faith. You cannot be in faith if you’re in anxiety. Faith is being reassured that God will come through for you and then living out your life from that stance.
3. Receive peace
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
Jesus offers you peace, the question is will you receive it? To receive peace you have to offload fear. It is a conscious decision. Receive one and offload the other.
Psalm 118:6 ESV The Lord is on my side, I will not fear. What can man do to me?
4. Practice peace
Let the peace that comes from Christ rule. Begin to live in and create an atmosphere of peace.
Romans 14:19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification.
Practical tips for practicing peace:
- Let your home be a peaceful place. Don’t talk about all the dramas of your life and don’t fight in your home. Let peace rule in your house. Leave stress at the door.
- Have a pen and paper beside your bed. Use this to write down the things you are thinking about at night. Pray over the list and rest knowing you can sort it out in the morning.
- Each day do something to attack some of the big giants in your world. Don’t avoid them, they will build up and will make you more anxious.
- Wash your mind with the word. Romans 10:17. Faith built by reading the word will overcome your fear.